house icon

In Your Bedroom

Switch off your gadgets

Save the Planet, keep yourself safe (and save money!). By switching off your electrical gadgets when they’re not in use, you’ll help your parents save money on electricity bills, conserve energy, and reduce the risk of an electrical fire.

Computers and games consoles

Leaving drinks, or other liquids, on or near a TV or computer (or other electrical appliances) can be dangerous. If spilt, the liquid could drip into the appliance and cause a fire, or give you an electric shock.

Overloading sockets

Plugging in more than one electrical gadget at a time can cause overheating and fire. If you need more sockets and have to use an adaptor, get a bar adaptor - which is safer - or better still, ask your parents about getting some additional sockets put in.

Trailing cables

Trailing cables under carpets, rugs or across walkways is a major hazard. Not only can you trip over them, they are also a potential fire risk. Repeated stretching and treading on the cable may damage its insulation.

Changing a light bulb

If you are supposed to use a 40Watt bulb with your bedside lamp or other light fittings, don’t use one with a higher wattage, as this can increase the risk of fire.

Heaters

Drying clothes over an electric heater can be dangerous. If water gets into the heater or if the ventilation slots are covered up, the heater could overheat and catch fire or you could get an electric shock.

Lamps

Don’t hang any materials over bedside lamps. They could set alight and cause a fire.

Email this to a friend

Back to Electrical Safety